MD Helicopters MD 500 profile is developed by the Hughes 500.The MD Helicopters MD 500 is an American family of military helicopters and light utility civilian.
Role : Light utility helicopter, Military
Manufacturer : Hughes Helicopters, McDonnell Douglas Helicopter Systems, MD Helicopters, Inc.
Number built : 4700
Developed from : OH-6 Cayuse
Variants : MD 500 Defender, MD Helicopters MD 600
The successful Hughes 500/MD 500 series began life in response to a US Army requirement for a light observation helicopter. Hughes announced it was developing a civil version, to be marketed as the Hughes 500, available in basic five and seven seat configurations. A utility version with a more powerful engine was offered as the 500U.
in 1976 Hughes 500D became the primary model with a more powerful engine, new five-blade main rotor and a T-tail(four-blade tail rotor was optional). Military variants are marketed under the MD 500 Defender name.
MD Helicopters MD 500 Specifications
- Crew: 1-2
- Capacity: 5 total
- Length: 30 ft 10 in (9.4 m)
- Rotor diameter: 26 ft 4 in (8.03 m)
- Height: 8 ft 2 in (2.48 m)
- Empty weight: 1,088 lb (493 kg)
- Max takeoff weight: 2,250 lb (1,157 kg)
- Powerplant: 1× Allison 250-C20 Turboshaft, 278 hp (207 kW)
- Maximum speed: 152 knots (175 mph, 282 km/h)
- Cruise speed: 125 kn (144 mph, 232 km/h)
- Range: 375 mi (605 km)
- Service ceiling: 16,000 ft (4,875 m)
- Rate of climb: 1,700 ft/min (8.6 m/s)