The U.S. Naval Air Station Dirigible Hangar B with important post World War II military patrols of the West coast of America is connected. Plans for the construction of an airport in Tillamook, Oregon, took shape in the summer of 1941 and in September the placement of the airport in the south of the city had been decided. When the United States entered World War II after the Japanese attack on Pearl Harbor in December 1941 the Navy launched its full non-rigid airship program, which led to a series of hangars built in 10 different locations in the United States.
The U.S. Naval Air Station Dirigible Hangar
These hangars mark a significant period of aviation history, when airships were an important part of the U.S. submarine defense. All, including lighter-than-hangars in Tustin, California, built with the same plans and construction began in the early years of World War II. The Tillamook valley was naturally protected location between San Francisco and the Strait of San Juan de Fuca where it is an ideal starting point for patrol this coastal region.
Work began on the “lighter-than-air” station immediately with the clearing of 2,000 hectares of land dairy farm four miles south inland from the town of Tillamook, and six miles. This area at the southern end of Tillamook Bay was composed of the old gravel bars, filled river beds and sedimentation. There are more than two million cubic meters of gravel needed for classification. The administration building went first and were soon followed by barracks, canteens and roads. Rail connections to Tillamook and the airport was completed along with the gatehouse and fence from September 1942.
The two hangars were built at Tillamook designed for the “K”-style airships. Hangar “A” was at a price of $ 2,405,395.00 and Hangar “B” for $ 3, 110.048.00 built. Both have an oval roof shell. Stiffened with a series of 51 transverse arch ribs, each building 1,050 meters long, 296 feet wide and 175 feet high. The dimensions of the hangars were so huge that there is no precedent for the manner of their creation. Hangar “B” was started in October 1942 and finally finished to 15 August 1943.
Hangar “A” was on 26 July 1943 started and finished except for the final canopy to 27 August 1943, in only 27 working days – avoiding costly delays and bad weather, that the construction of Hangar “B” are concerned Due to the dimensional size and volume of wood used, they are framed, one of the largest buildings in the world of wood. Two interior walkways running the length of each hangar, one on each side at a height of 137 meters above the ground. Stairs at both ends of the hall leading from the ground to the catwalks and from there onto the roof. A central staircase leads only to the catwalks. One monitor runs the entire length of the back of the building. At each end of the hangar are two pillars, the pockets of the six large doors house when they are open, have (three in each column). Today, only Hangar “B” remains as the Hangar “A” was destroyed by fire in 1992.
Eight “K” series airships (blimps) were housed at the Tillamook Naval Air Station. The “K” series airships had a crew numbering eight to 10 and were used for extended flight operations in coastal patrols. The ships were 215.7 meters long, 79 meters high and 62.5 meters wide. They were armed with four mounted depth chargers and two 50-caliber machine guns in the extreme upper front portion of the car. The techniques for air-sea rescue were developed at Tillamook Naval Air Station.
Squadrons of FM-2 is the Naval Air Station Tillamook (NAST) is used as a refueling and armament. In 1948 the Navy decided that the station at which time the county negotiated a lease with the Navy and the Commission was appointed to operate close to the airport. In 1963, the Commission formally acquired the hangars and the loss of Hangar A, was the rest of the hall as a museum founded in 1994.
The deactivated U.S. Naval Air Station Dirigible Hangar B at Tillamook Bay is located at the southernmost end of an estuarine valley in Oregon from the meeting of the Wilson and Trask rivers is formed with the Pacific Ocean. The hangar is now the Tillamook Air Museum. The museum is open daily from 9.00 to 05.00 clock, closed Thanksgiving and Christmas. There is a fee. Please call 503-842-1130 for more information or visit the Tillamook Air Museum.