Antonov An-10 Airliner
Antonov An-10 Ukraine was a four-engined turboprop passenger transport aircraft designed in the Soviet Union. It First flight on 7 March 1957 and Introduced to the public on 1959.
Role : Airliner
Manufacturer : Antonov
Designed by : N. S. Troonchenkov & V. N. Ghel’prin
First flight : 7 March 1957
Introduced : 1959
Retired : 1972
Primary user : Aeroflot
Number built : 104
Variants : Antonov An-12
Inspired by the Izdeliye N (Izdeliye – article or product) passenger version of the Antonov An-8 the Antonov design bureau developed the Izdeliye U, a four-engined aircraft with similar layout to the An-8, but with increased dimensions and a circular section pressurised fuselage.
The first prototype flew on 7 March 1957, revealing poor directional stability which led to a taller vertical fin, and later to hexagonal auxiliary fins at the tips of the tailplane.
From 1958, production aircraft were delivered with the Ivchenko AI-20A engines which boasted a longer service life and comparable performance compared to the Kuznetsov engines.
Antonov An-10 Variants
- Izdeliye U – The in-house designation of the four-engined passenger aircraft derived from the Izdeliye N An-8 project.
- An-10 – The designation of the prototype and initial production versions fitted with Kuznetsov NK-4 or Ivchenko Ai-20A engines.
- An-10A – Production aircraft from December 1959 with increased seating, decreased empty weight/increased payload and Ivchenko AI-20K engines.
- An-10AS – several aircraft modified for small package cargo transport with no seats.
- An-10TS – (Transport/Sanitarny – transport/ambulance) 45 Aircraft ordered for the VTA (Voyenno-Transportnaya Aviatsiya – transport air arm), with 38 loaned to the Ministry of Civil Aviation.
- An-10KP – (Komandny Punkt – command post) A single aircraft (CCCP-11854) modified as an airborne command post for use at Sperenburg air base, near Berlin in the DDR.
Antonov An-10 Specifications
- Crew: 5
- Capacity: 100 passengers
- Length: 34 m (111 ft 6½.5 in)
- Wingspan: 38 m (124 ft 8 in)
- Height: 9.8 m (32 ft 1¾ in)
- Wing area: 121.73 m² (1310.3 ft²)
- Empty weight: 29,800 kg (65,697 lb)
- Gross weight: 55,100 kg (121,473 lb)
- Powerplant: 4 × Ivchenko AI-20 turboprop, 2,984 kW (4,000 hp) each each
- Maximum speed: 715 km/h (444 mph)
- Cruising speed: 600–660 km/h (373–410 mph)
- Range: 4075 km (2532 miles)
- Service ceiling: 11,000 m (36,100 ft)